Cakes By Casey

Delicious homemade, peanut-free baked goodies!

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Durga's Sweet 16!

Happy birthday, Durga! This cake was made for one of my students for her 16th birthday. She was very excited to celebrate her 16th birthday on Saturday with her friends, and her mom asked me to bake the cake for the party. For inspiration, her mother sent me pictures of the dress and necklace she would be wearing to the party.

I then asked her how many people the cake would be serving? 16. How appropriate. All she asked for was a 10" round cake. Hmmm....I thought Durga needed something more exciting for her Sweet 16 than a 10" round cake. So I took some creative liberty with the request and designed her cake....




It is a two-tiered chocolate fudge cake with vanilla buttercream. The decorates are all made of rolled fondant with lustre dust applied to the polka dots.




I had a lot of fun working on this cake. It had been a very long day--school, passport office (with two kids in tow), solo-dinner with the girls, bath time and then bed time. It's a tricky routine when Rob is not home. So, needless to say, I was looking forward to some 'alone' time to decorate this cake!




I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks. I have cake/cupcake orders for every Saturday in January! Next week? Hannah Montana cake and cupcakes. Following week? Girly princess cupcakes for Sophie's first birthday!

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment