Cakes By Casey

Delicious homemade, peanut-free baked goodies!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Sick Day, A New Camera and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I'm not sick. Kate is. Poor girl. But she is so cute and cuddly when she is sick. When Rob and I woke her up this morning and saw the mess, we both looked at each other and wondered who was going to stay home with her. Thankfully, I had some lessons ready, and it was easier for me to stay home today.

While Kate was sleeping this afternoon, in my precious 2 hours of alone time (mothers and fathers everywhere know how precious nap time is) I decided to whip up some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. After skimming through a few cookie cook books, I resorted to my old-school, tried and true favourite cook book--Five Roses: A Guide to Good Cooking.



When Kate woke up, we sat together in our pyjamas (yes, I realize it was 2:30pm on a Tuesday, but it's a sick day!) and had our warm cookies with a glass of milk. So good. I did come to the realization that I have to teach Kate how to put more cookie in her mouth than all over the floor, the couch and her pj's!

After a few minutes of Barney & Friends, I simply couldn't take it any more! I left Kate on the couch and grabbed my new camera and headed to the only source of natural light in our house--the living room--to take a few pics of the cookies.  Here's the result:





Kate couldn't keep her hand out of the bowl....



Here's the recipe:

3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 375F. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Cream butter. Add brown sugar slowly, beating well between each addition. Add egg, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix well. Blend in dry ingredients. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfulls onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 min (I baked for 9 min) until browned.

Enjoy!

Casey

1 comment: