Cakes By Casey

Delicious homemade, peanut-free baked goodies!

Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom!


On December 20, my Mom celebrated her 29th birthday again. The whole family came over to our house to celebrate with ham, scalloped potatoes and cake.

My original plan was to bake a chocolate mocha sheet cake and then stack it and make a really cool square cake with 5 layers. Well, due to a slight mis-communication with my DH, he picked up low-fat sour cream instead of full-fat sour cream. I didn't think it would matter. Well, it did. The cake didn't rise and was rock hard. Boo.

No worries. Back to the tried and true recipe (Duncan Hines box mix, 2 eggs and 1 1/3 cup of water). Perfect.

Did I mention that my mom's birthday is 2 days after I finish teaching? How to decorate this special cake plagued me for 2 days. Flowers like last time? Something different? Ah ha! I have Satin Ice fondant upstairs in black! Let me tell you, I will never, ever, ever try to dye white fondant black again. I will save time and effort and just go to Flour Confections in Pickering and buy a tub of Satin Ice pre-coloured vanilla fondant. It comes in all the hard to make colours--red, green, purple and black to name a few.

So this cake was born ! It is a triple-torted chocolate fudge cake, iced in buttercream. It was then covered in white vanilla fondant and decorated in black fondant polka dots.

I'm also very excited to let everyone know that I got a fancy new camera for Christmas--the Canon Rebel XSi. So watch out for some great new cake photos coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment